Wednesday, November 08, 2006

"Democracy" in action

Well, it's been a busy couple of months here in redneck-land. For some reason, my picture has faded almost completely away.

Anyway, on to the point. I "voted" yesterday on one of those new-fangled electronic voting machines. Here's how it worked:

  1. As always, the old ladies look up my name in the register book.
  2. I sign the register book.
  3. They hand me a card... same size as a credit card with a smart chip in it.
  4. I stick this into a slot on the voting machine.
  5. I enter selections on the touch screen. I can "print" my ballot, but I can't touch or keep the paper.
  6. I pull the card out, and give it to a dude sho said he'd take care of it.

So, how do I know whether my vote was actually entered into the system? Answer: I don't, and there's no way for me to know. I haven't seen the programs that run on those machines, I haven't reviewed the chip designs, and I haven't seen a verified chain of custody that shows that the hardware and software are actually what I reviewed. So what's on the card? Who knows?

"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything." -- Stalin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home