Friday, January 27, 2006

Fun with Witches

I just finished Taltos, the last book in Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches trilogy. Like the other two (The Witching Hour and Lasher), this story sort of just stopped because there weren't any more pages. It seems like Ms. Rice was overwhelmed by the world she created, and couldn't fit it into the regular novel format. The witch/Taltos world is amazingly rich. There are long passages that are basically historical expositions; back story, really. But it's all very compelling.

These are not your traditional witches, they are mostly normal (almost) human (women, mostly) who have special powers (and friends). Most Mayfair witches are beautiful (and irresistible when they want to be).

Somebody could make some awesome movies from that material. If they can come up with ending[s] that provide some closure.

Of course, there is the Harry Potter world of witchcraft and wizardry. Apparently, girls are witches, and boys are wizards in the Harry Potter magical world. J. K. Rowling's world is an odd mixture of the campy and the tragic. She's got it going, though.

I just got a new book called Wicked. On which is based a popular Broadway musical. A road show is coming to my town soon. I know that it's about the wicked witch of the west (or east?), from The Wizard of Oz, but beyond that, I only know it's a cool title. Must be cool, as it's sold out already. The resellers want anywhere from $140-370 per seat. Might be cheaper to run up to NY. Or not. I guess I'll read the book first, although I hear it's only loosely related to the show. Maybe I'll get the soundtrack. That's how I got sucked into Phantom of the Opera.

I could really use a friendly witch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home